Engineering Development Board was established in 1995. The primary mandate assigned to the board is policy formulation and implementation for facilitating and encouraging development & growth of the Engineering Industry of the country. Later it was decided that EDB shall function as an apex policy and decision making autonomous body for all aspects concerning the Engineering Industry as per its terms of reference. EDB implemented indigenisation programs, carried out the tariff rationalisations, and other sectoral/business development activities for different engineering sectors.
Engineering Development Board was established on 15th May 1995 with the following terms of reference .
- Develop a long-term vision for the development of the engineering sector.
- Formulate and coordinate all government policies relating to the engineering sector.
- Develop an overall strategic engineering development plan.
- Promotion of export.
- Enhancement of technical training.
- Formulate policies and guidelines for utilisation of technology development and engineering funds.
- Appeal for grievances.
- Management of deletion / indigenisation policy.